CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My Weekend - Day 2 - Saturday Part 1

I woke up Saturday morning at 10 past 7. Nessa was up and starting her day too, as she was going to her College Graduation Ceremony that morning. I had laid everyone's clothes out the night before, so I grabbed my yoga pants and tee and got dressed, put in the contacts and headed out the door for Breakfast. A lovely 2 minute drive to Dunkin' Donuts yeilded a large coffee, a breakfast sandwich for Hubby, and donuts and juice for the kids. I woke Kaity up, got her dressed, gave her the donut, and headed out just as Emmy was sitting down to eat hers.

Friday we had driven past the spot that the Great Strides Walk was to meet, just to familiarize myself with Roger Williams Park again after a long time. I got to the Carousel Village and had a PRIME parking spot, got out, loaded Kaity into the jogger stoller I borrowed from a friend in CT and headed to where I was supposed to check in.

I could spot my friend Pat from a mile away. Except for sporting a goatee and Moustache, or "Van Dyke" as Magazine Man tells the world it's called, he was relatively the same. Still thin -- I hated him! LOL...So I checked in, and scored some free food (Dunkin' Donuts was there, DAMN I wasted $3.00 for coffee for myself!) and juice for Kaity. I met Kerry, Pat's wife, and of course, Finn, the man of the hour, for whom I was doing this walk... More and more of "Finnz Friendz" showed up. I got a t-shirt, so did Kaity. I took some pictures...





Then the walk began! It was about 5k or a little over 3 miles, and I did very well. Pat and I walked with Kaity and Finn in strollers and we talked the whole time, reminiscing, sharing stories on how we met our spouses, etc. It was a great time. The best part was the fact that part of the walk through RWP was in the vicinity of where I grew up. I was bombarded with memories and stories of walking to Park View Jr. High through RWP, picking daffodills in the spring, parking and making out in high school....what a trip down memory lane....

At the halfway point, the RI Parrothead Club (Yes, as in Jimmy Buffet), had a "Tiki Bar" with water, juice, and fruit. It was real nice. When we got to the finish line, there was a Jimmy Buffet cover band playing and they were playing Finn's song! (according to Pat). I had Pizza strips (RI Italian bakery style, sorry I didn't take a picture, but I should have!) and more water to drink. Kaity had some pizza strip too. Then it was time for a "Team Finnz Friendz" Picture! YAY!


(I'm in the front on the right holding Kaity and wearing my Pink Red Sox hat....)

I checked my watch and realized I had to jet, so that I could drive to Woods Hole to catch the 2:30 boat to Oak Bluffs...We took a few pictures with Pat, Kerry, and Finn...



Then we headed back to Nessa's, packed the car, and got on the highway to Woods Hole! While in the parking lot, we ran into my Mum's college roomate, Darlene, who we ended up pretty much spending most of the weekend in the presence with.....We got on the boat, and landed in Oak Bluffs about 3:15....and from there, the craziness began!

This was a pretty long post, so I will try to finish Saturday's stuff tonight or tomorrow.....

4 flame(s) added to the fire:

Jay Noel said...

Looks like fun! What was the walk for?

Anonymous said...

Nice pics, Cissa! Glad you had a good time!

Dr.John said...

Glad the walk went well. I hope you raised a ton of money.

B.R.L said...

I am glad the walk went well with no trouble. It was nice to have music and refreshments at the end to thankyou for a job well done. Good pictures.