CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Actual Surprise...

So where did we leave off....? Oh yes, the phone rang...

Wait. I need to give a little background.

I have 2 sets of parents - Mom & Dad and Mum & Dad...ok ...clarify...right...ok...Mom and Bob (whom I call Dad), my biological mother, who raised me and I spent about 9 months and every other holiday with and her husband of 3 years, and Dad and Donna (who I call Mum), whom I spent every summer and every other holiday with, until senior year of high school when I moved in for the whole year. Dad and Mum married 25 years ago May 21st...right, ok, so Mom had a son after me, JP. He's 23, schizophrenic and lives in a group home in RI. Mum & Dad have two kids, Shell and Pokeman (not thier real names, duh). Now that we have that cleared away...

Shell graduated from college on Saturday. Mum & Dad drove up to see her graduate, and then packed her apartment up and they were driving back to the Vineyard on Sunday. There was a ever so slight chance that they would have time to stop. But this is my family, and they are 99.9% of the time late, or running late. So, I figured they weren't gonna stop by. In fact, I forgot all about them....until I picked up the phone seeing my sister's cell number on the Caller ID.

"Hey Shell! What's up?" I love to hear from my sister...I assumed she was calling to tell me they made it to the Vineyard safe. It's something we do as a family. Call each other when we get home from traveling...anyway....

"He-eey! Is it ok if we stop by? I need to figure out how to get to your house too," I glanced at my watch.

"Uuuum, ooookay? About when?"

"Well," she paused. I assumed she was trying to figure about where in CT she was.

"OK, well, where are you on the highway," I said, trying to get info to gage the distance. This would help me figure how clean I could get the house in a limited time.

"Um, we're taking the Groton exit right now," she said as quietly as possible on a cell phone.

SURPRISE!!!!

"You're on the exit?!?! So like, 5 minutes. Ok, um...sure! The house is a bit of a mess at the moment, and I hope you guys won't mind....EMILY!!!!" I then called my kids, got them dressed in about 2 seconds and got myself dressed while giving my sister directions to my house and managed to convince the kids to pick up the living room quickly. Litterally 5 minutes later, I was standing in my driveway, clothes thrown on, greasy hair (I was planning a relaxing bath later where Hubby could wash my hair), house a mess, and here come 2 cars, filled to the brim with Shell's things, and of course my parents, Shell and Pokeman. Emily recognized my parents SUV right away and was thrilled to pieces to see them. They were very polite about the house, and actually, made me feel better especially since my Mum knew about my crazy week.

Emily has been saving up money from the Tooth Fairy and her birthday to buy a new V-Smile game. Since she lost her 3rd tooth on Friday evening, she got her game on Saturday (paid with it too, she was so proud and told the cashier she saved the money herself LOL) So when my parents and siblings came, of course, they had to get a presnetation of the new game. It was funny to watch my parents help her play the game. Even Pokeman, who as you might have guessed is into the video game thing as well, was trying to help her with it. A nice time was had by all, especially Buddy the Birdhunter, who got LOTS of attention from my father.

They stayed about a half hour, and we had a nice visit. I am looking forward to seeing them this weekend for the Anniversary party.....

But you know what I did as soon as their car was out of the driveway and out of sight?

Changed back into my jammies and went straight back to bed! It was my day off, afterall...

4 flame(s) added to the fire:

B.R.L said...

Oh it is nice to have surprises like that.

Jay Noel said...

shell and pokeman?

I think you've just created yet another Japanese cartoon for our kids to get addicted to.

A messy house is just proof that people actually live there.

Dr.John said...

Glad you were finally able to enjoy your day off.

Cissa Fireheart said...

Janey,

you don't remember that he used to be obsessed with that tv show and video game? Hell, he wants to do a foreign exchange in Japan for God's sake!! He is way into that anime crap. Seriously....

Shell is good. A little stressed abotu her summer, but only because between now and the beginning of june she has a lot to do and then goes back to PA for camp counseling, and then heads to Boston to Northeastern in the fall for Graduate School...yeah...

and Janey, you spelled it right, but I spelled it PokeMAN, cause he's like you know, a human and stuff....it freaks me out that you spellled it right...MY EYES!! MY EYES!!!!