CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Rent, the Second Time Around

Well, yesterday, My neighbor Jess, and I went to watch Rent at the base movie theatre. For $3 we couldn't turn it down. I fell in love with this film, the music, the characters, except Benny of course..., and ya know, I just....I was excited as hell to go watch it again.

It's great to watch something you know 3/4 of again. I knew all the music, so I didn't have to pay attention to it as much, and I was able to pick up on things a bit more. I found myself watching background movements, dance routines, and just about anything to broaden my knowledge about this movie.

Having the soundtrack has been my greatest asset for many reasons. The music has inspired me, personally, and the lyrics have become part of my mantra for liffe. This truly is a fabulaous soundtrack. I was looking forward to seeing two songs performed most of all "La Vie Boheme" and "I'll Cover You (Reprise)". I was not disappointed the second time around. However, since I did know the whole damn thing by heart, I was shocked in the last 20 minutes, when....

10 minutes of scenes were MISSING FROM THE FILM!!

The funny thing is, whoever edited the film for the base theatre knew the EXACT moment to cut these two scenes. The sad thing is, I think they are somewhat pivotal. TO have them missing form the film is a big mistake, in my opinion...

The second half of "Goodbye Love" in which Roger and Marc fight about Roger's leaving NYC, and his subsequent "good-bye" with Mimi, who hears their fight. It's a heart wrenching moment to hear Mimi practicly cry as she sings "Good-bye Love, Hello Disease...." as Roger walks out. I cannot belive this scene somehow is not there. It is essential to the plot after Roger's return to NYC. Even Jess, who heard me complaining about the scene being gone was confused about some stuff later because it was gone. Also the music that was the central melody to this and the next song I mention, just POPS OUT OF NOWHERE at the end of the movie, and leaves the viewer going...."Um, huh?" In a movie wehre much of the music is repeated to emphasize past points or scenes, this ommision is quite confusing indeed. When I played th missing parts in my car on the way home, a little bit more clicked for Jss, and she agreed at last THIS song, should have not been incomplete.

The song - "Halloween" in which Marc realizes all his friends - Mimi, Roger, Collins, and Angel, who's just died -- will all be leaving him alone eventually. The sudden realization that he's going to be the lone survivor as he edits his film in the spare time from his job, which he loathes, is the opener to "What You Own", in which Roger returns to NYC, his "one song glory" written and he feels ready to face the rest of what his HIV positive days will bring to him. Instead, the scene is gone.....and I think some very great lines, and cinematogrophy along with it.

After the movie was over, I made a point to go to the person at the counter (who I belive is the manager) and point out that 10 minutes of the original movie was missing. The woman didn't seem to care much, but I made sure to mention that I had seen it in the big theatres, and I knew they were missing, and it might be good business to make sure the next theatre that got the reels knows it is incomplete. To her 10 minutes may be nothing, but to me, it was very disappointing indeed.

OK, so that's it for me on this film. I loved it. I eagerly anticipate Feb 21st, when it comes out on DVD. I am going to have Jess over and make sure she sees the two missing scenes, damn it! I just hope they are there, or I am going to have to start flipping out on the Powers that Be who put out the DVD at Sony...hehe.....

0 flame(s) added to the fire: