CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, January 06, 2006

A Love Story


Today is a milestone for Me and the Hubby.....yes our Wedding Anniversary was back in October, but today I am going to share with you all about how we met, and why Today is so special. You see, 8 years ago today, Hubby and I really "got together". And I'm not talking about sex...I'm talking about....well, read the story, and you'll find out.....

When Hubby was in Groton the first time, I - age 20, was living in RI with my mom, going to Rhode Island College and working. It was the fall of 1997. A friend I had gone to High School with and I reconnected and we would go to the "18+ Night" at a club in Providence called "The Metro" it was once "Desperados" and at one point after Hubby and I were dating was called "Swingers" when the retro swing craze hit....anyway, So going to the "18+ Night" was my weekly Thursday night ritual. After a few times, I noticed this one group of guys that was always there too. One guy in particular was HOTTER than anything. My friend tried to convince me to go up and talk to him. Now usually I am a very outgoing person, but because of a socially and mentally damaging incident in Junior High, I was afraid to approach guys at dances/dance clubs. Well one night, the guys were off the dance floor. The remix of the Grease soundtrack songs came on "You're The One That I Want" was first. The guys came on the dance floor and were going to their "usual spot" on the dance floor. For no reason, I grabbed the hot guy and started to dance with him. I don't know what possessed me to do it. We didn't say a word, just danced. Just that song. Neither one of us danced with anyone else the whole night. I know cause I watched him like a hawk the rest of the night.

The next week, the guy and his friends were back. My friend somehow convinced me to just go say hello and talk to the guy. Well, she threatened me that if I didn't she would - thus embarrassing me even more! So, I mustered up courage and walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and loooked at me like "Who the hell are you?" this is what happened.

Me: "Hi!"

Him: "Uh, hi..."

Me: "We danced together last week, remember?"

Him: "Um...no, not really," cue me blushing and feeling like a total dummy.

Me: "Oh well, I just wanted to come and say hello."

Him "Okay. Hello."

He then turned back around to his friends and ignores me. Cue me feeling like a loser walking back to my friend humiliated and fuming at her. I then proceed to tell her that I am NEVER talking to another guy in a nightclub. This simlar situation happened in Junior High and was exactly what I feared would happen again. I was ready to throttle her. She told me to shut up and dance. What else could I do? So I danced. A little while later "You're The One That I Want" comes on. I start dancing, reliving my humiliation in my mind again. The guy comes up to me and says:

"Hi. Sorry I didn't remember you before. I do now. Wanna dance?" I agreed and we dance. Only to that song once again.

The next week we dance again to the same song. No talking involved. The 4th week, it was my mom's birthday, and we were supposed to take my mom to the club. She was 40 and I wanted her to have fun. She backed out last minute. So me and my friend and her new boyfriend went. I lost them somewhere in the club. I went to our usual spot looking all around. The hot guy was there. I went up to him and asked if he had seen the blonde girl I was always with. He said he hadn't seen her at all. I asked him if was staying in the spot. He said he was. I told him if he saw my friend to grab her and tell her to stay put, that I was looking for her. He agreed. I walked around the club again, trying to find her to no avail. I went back to the spot. The hot guy said he hadn't seen her. I decided I would just stay put and she could come to me.

That Nine Inch Nails song that has the famous line "I wanna fuck you like and animal" came on. I said:

"Wanna dance? I know it's not our song..." he laughed and said "Sure."

By the end of the song, we were kissing. After that song, we went into the piano bar part of the club and talked. This guy was amazing. Sweet, nice, funny...and in the Navy. And he was from Florida, which I had recently left to transfer college up North. He was the one for me. We talked and kissed all night long. I got his number on the boat. I still have that piece of paper! He still has the one with my number on it too! LOL. I went home and told my mom I had met the man I was going to marry. She laughed it off. We went out 2 nights later to Providence to Lupo's. Again we talked and kissed all night. He and his buddies even took me out to Bickfords for post-clubbing breakfast. I knew he was going out to sea on Monday.... He got back from going out to sea for a week. I had told him I was going to try and have him come to my Dad's for Thanksgiving dinner so he could have a home-cooked meal for a change. My grandmother told me no because we already had 18 people for dinner. I felt so terrible about that....he called back and I felt like a dog for having to tell him he couldn't come.

Then, we kinda lost touch. I was busy with work, school and my friends... I got a message from my Nana that he had called "To say goodbye and Merry Christmas" and I freaked out. I called the boat in a panic and got a hold of his friend Kevin. He told me Hubby was on leave, not out of the Navy like I thought, but he could not give me his home number in FL, security reasons. However, he told me Hubby was due back January 6th, and gave me the boat address and suggested I write him a letter. So I did just that.

January 6th came. I called the boat at 9 am like I had said I would do in my letter, praying that he had recieved it. Hubby answered the phone! He had gotten my letter and was waiting by the phone for me to call. He asked me if I could come stay with him for a couple days in his apartment in CT. I said I had the next 3 days off from work. (I had decided to take a semester off because I was stressed from family issues and work). That night he came to RI and took me back to CT.. We had a great 3 days. We have been together ever since...and I was right! I did find the guy I was gonna marry! We've been married 7 years.

In the 8 years we've been together, we've been through Hell and back. But I love the man. I truly think we are soul-mates. And it all started, truly began with no confussion, 8 years ago today.

So even though Valentines Day is next month, for Hubby and Me, it's today. The day we became Sweethearts....

4 flame(s) added to the fire:

Anonymous said...

I love your love story!!!

Anonymous said...

Great story! :)

jeopardygirl said...

AWWW. BTW, the name of the song is "Closer To God."

Rebecca said...

Isn't it funny how sometimes, YOU JUST KNOW when it's "the one". :)