CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sumptuous Sunday - Week 3: Low-Fat Pesto

Welcome to Sumptuous Sunday! My weekly recipe sharing series. What is Sumptuous Sunday, you ask?

Here's how it works: Every Sunday I will post a recipe that I enjoy. Not just anything from my cookbook, but a sumptuous kick-ass recipe that I myself have eaten over and over again. If you have a kick-ass recipe you want to share, email it to me at heartofire@tvcconnect.net. I will try a couple recipes a week. If I find yours is incredibly Sumptuous, I will post it here on the blog, giving my reaction and singing your praises. You will also get to display this lovely little icon on your blog, if you wish....


This week I am featuring a recipe that I know I will be using a lot since I have to cut out tomato sauce. It tastes great over spinach or whole wheat pasta!

Low-Fat Pesto Sauce

2/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pine nuts

Combine stock and garlic and heat in the microwave on high for 5 minutes (or heat on the stove). Allow to cool.

Chop basil in food processor. Add cooled stock, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Whirl until everything is finely chopped and blended.

Meanwhile, cook pasta of your choice. Toss sauce with pasta. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4 servings.


Enjoy! See you next week on Sumptuous Sunday!

~Cissa



2 flame(s) added to the fire:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

I have just started (doctor's orders) to cut fats and oils out of my diet.(do you know how hard it is to cook without margarine, butter, olive oil, etc???)

This pesto sauce is EXACTLY what I have been praying to find!

You are the bestest!!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try that - - and so glad to see which icon you chose... this one seems to fit the best. Very nicely done - - pats self on the back....

Happy Monday!